Thursday, October 14, 2010

Walk On the Wild Side

Tonight was our big zoo fundraiser, Walk On the Wild Side. It featured various restaurants with goodies to sample, live entertainment, and a live and silent auction. My job, as a docent, was to stroll around through the crowd holding the animal of my choice and talk to people about it. I chose Poe, our ball python.

Now I had been told that after we finished docenting, that we had to leave. Unless of course, we bought a ticket. So I planned to leave, and go on home afterwards. Well, when I showed up, my friend and co-worker L presented me with my very own ticket! Another volunteer, G, had bought all of us one. Then she fell ill, and couldn't come. :(

I had so much fun! Talking to the visitors about my snake, listening to the band playing soft jazz, very nice ambiance as people moseyed in and set about getting their food. It's funny, if you're holding a bird, or something fuzzy, you're guaranteed to get a lot of people wanting to learn about your animal. Hold a snake, and not that many will come near you. As one guest told me today, "No one likes you!"

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that the snake I was holding was big enough to take up both my arms. Umm...Poe has grown!

We put our animals up, and went back to the zoo to enjoy the evening. I didn't eat much, but that wasn't for lack of options! There was pizza, bbq, seafood, Italian food, breads, cupcakes,probably more that I am forgetting. Also soda, beer and wine. My friends took advantage of the alcohol options, but I chose not to. Good thing; I encountered a police checkpoint on the way home!

We sat down and listened to the auction and talked. Some people were bidding quite a bit of money on stuff. I know it's for a good cause and all, but if I had that kind of money, I'd get my bills paid. The evening was just wonderful, and I had an excellent time. Even if L did try and throw me out of a moving golf cart.

Have a great weekend, God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment