Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mini Vacation

We decided to have one last vacation this year, before getting too bogged down in school and work. So all 7 of us, (dh, kids, college kid's girlfriend and myself) all packed up and headed to a nearby theme park. It's a pleasant two hour drive through cotton fields and cow pastures.

First on the agenda was to check into our hotel, then we'd hit the theme park. Dh was sure he knew where the hotel was, but it took us a good 30 minutes to find it. Then we realized we didn't get what we requested. Okay, I admit I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to overnight accommodations. I want certain things like interior entrances, ( I feel safer this way), a continental breakfast, and wifi. A pool/hot pot combo is even better.

We had booked our hotel over the phone, telling the agent exactly what we wanted. Well..this hotel had none of it. It was cheap looking, and didn't appear safe or welcoming at all. Fortunately, we were able to cancel and find the hotel we really wanted.

After checking into the right hotel, and sorting out who was staying in which room, we headed out to the theme park. I started getting more and more excited as we approached the park. When dh was buying tickets, I decided the gig was up, and the truth had to come out.

When ds #2 graduated with his GED back in June, we told him we were going to this theme park, and when. We didn't tell him the whole story. So while dh was buying our tickets at the gate, I turned to ds and told him what was really going on,

Me: ds, when you graduated, we told you we were coming here this weekend, and said we had to save up the money. That wasn't the real reason we chose this weekend. We decided to come now for a very special reason. That reason is; Skillet is going to be performing a concert here in 4 hours.

His reaction was priceless! Skillet is his absolute favorite band ever. He was beyond excited, I was so happy for him, and knew we had scored big on this one. I give God all the glory, for without Him, none of this would have worked out. He definitely blessed us, providing for all our needs on this trip.

We spent the next 4 hours riding rides, and exploring the park. It was so crowded, and I was constantly bumping into people. Lines for rides were extremely long, and I kept hearing, "What time is the concert? See you at the concert, can't wait for Skillet tonight. See you at Skillet!" No, not from ds, from everyone else at the park. Ds kept saying, 'I can't believe Skillet's here. I can't believe I get to see Skillet!"

At one point, we went in the Lorikeet aviary to see those colorful goofballs. This always happens in these aviaries-the birds flock to ds, even though he doesn't have nectar. However, he does wear a big straw hat, and the birds love it. So he ends up with lorikeets on his head, trying to eat his hat. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment