Friday, August 3, 2012

Beach Weekend part 2

Ds #2 and I were out in the deep, relaxing in the surf. College kid was in the breakers with his girlfriend, as she can't swim. DD was playing in the sand, looking for shells mostly. Ds #3 came out in the deep with us a few times. Last time we were there, we swam and swam and swam feeling for the sandbar, but it was gone! I'm so glad it has returned.





It starts getting dark, but I'm reluctant to head back. I just love floating in the ocean. Then it's seriously getting dark, so we had to concede defeat and head for shore. I had never been in the ocean at night, it was definitely a different experience.

To our lodging, showers for everyone, then out to dinner. It's strange that college kid is now old enough to order his own alcohol. How did that happen? He already has his favorites as well. I guess I have to accept he is grown now.

Many years back, I had found this boardwalk through a woodsy area with a creek beside it. You could swim/float/canoe, or walk on the boardwalk. The kids and I had been once, then I could never find it again. I had looked every time, for all these years, and had never found it.

On the way to dinner, dh points to something, and says, "there's that walking trail you've been looking for!" He found it!! Turkey Creek Trail. I couldn't wait for the next day to check it out.

The next morning, we finally get up and get going. We head straight to Turkey Creek. It was even better than I remembered! The trail is 3/4 of a mile one way. It dead-ends, and you can hop in and swim or float down the creek. The water is a constant 69 degrees. Brrrr...

One time down the boardwalk and in the water go the kids. They absolutely loved it. There are checkpoints every so often, to check in on the kids. You can also hop in at any of these, or just swim there. Most of the creek is pretty shallow, but there are a couple of places where it's over the guys' heads, and they are 6' tall.

There didn't appear to be any alligators, (we were in FL) but there were plenty of turtles. At one spot, we counted 15. Of course that happens if someone feeds them, but {cough cough} we would never break the rules and do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment