Thursday, December 9, 2010

Fun on the Farm

My son and I went down to a friend's house today to borrow a scoop of chicken food for our quail. I told my son we'd only be there a minute, we just needed to get the food, that's it. Things never go that way, though, do they?

We arrived at the house, and went around to the backyard to get the food. They have some outside cats, and they were asking for water. As cold as it's been, I figured it would be best to give them warm tap water from inside. So I took the bowls, and headed to the back door. Dodging the horse, I made it inside. Then I had to let the dogs out, and not trip over the inside cats as I filled up the bowls.

Carrying one full bowl of warm water, I am greeted at the door by the horse, who promptly empties all my water in one quick gulp. Back to the bathroom, and fill it up once more. This time the dogs find me, and slurp it down in record time. The third trip to the faucet, and the dogs are still thirsty.

By this time, I give up and decide just to use the hose outside. So dodging the horse again, I head out and turn the faucet on. Walk all the way down the yard to the nozzle. Along the way, I notice the pig and goats need water too. Sigh. The hose is frozen, and we're getting no water from it.

So to give every thirsty thing water, my son and I had to fill buckets straight from the faucet, and haul them to their respective place. Nearly an hour later, we finish up and head home.

All I wanted was a scoop of chicken food!

Chela

No comments:

Post a Comment