Monday, August 5, 2013

Fun with Ostriches

What a day I had at work! While most people have to deal with grouchy bosses, grouchy customers, or difficult co-workers, how many have to deal with cantankerous ostriches? Perhaps that fits into the difficult co-workers file?

My position at work calls for me to open the gate to the Veldt exhibit, and let the trailer through. I also have to make sure nothing escapes while the gates are open. Then of course I close the gates and load up on the trailer to continue our ride. For a year now, this has proceeded without incident. Then came Saturday.

I had been warned to watch out for Wilma, our female ostrich. She had been trying to escape when the gates were open. The other guides had to be quite creative in distracting her to let the trailer through. So here goes...we load up the trailer, and head out to the Veldt. As we approach the gate, I see a pair of huge ostrich feet peeking out under the gate. (Really, think Big Bird from Sesame Street)

Wilma likes to peck the lock and try to open the gate herself. Ostriches are a bit smarter than you might think. We used to just hook the chain with a carabiner, but not anymore. Now we have a large padlock keeping her behind the fence, and this is where the trouble started. I had a bit of trouble with the lock, so my co-worker came to help me. As she fussed with the padlock, Wilma pecked her hand through the fence.

We finally get the lock open, and to Wilma's mind, this means 'Freedom!'. We managed to drive our trailer through before Wilma saw her chance. She approached the gate area with full intentions of heading straight through it. I made myself big, and very firmly told her "no" and to "go away", hoping she'd go investigate the trailer. But like I said, ostriches are rather smart, and she wasn't going for it.

My co-worker said, "C, you have to shove her!"

"No way!" was my reply. So here I am with my arms up in the air, yelling at this huge bird to get away from me. In reply, this 9 foot tall, 300 lb bird is snapping her sizeable beak in my face.

Again, my co-worker tells me, "You have to shove her!" Again, I didn't want to do it. What is this bird going to do if I put my hands on her? She's so much bigger than I am! Finally I realized my partner was right. I had no choice, it was either shove this bird, or we'd have an animal escape. I just couldn't have that under my watch. So I plucked up my courage, firmly placed both hands on her, and shoved.

What happened? She moved with the pressure, and quickly walked away. I did it! I hustled over to close the gate, and hopped back on the trailer to continue with our guide. In case you're wondering, Wilma felt like a big pile of feathers. That's all I felt-feathers. Of course I only had my hands on her a few seconds. But it was long enough to move her. And you know what? Next time I won't hesitate. I know what needs to be done, and how to do it. I am also aware of how Wilma is likely to react. All of which makes me feel more confident in dealing with her. Just another day on the job! LOL

We had a problem the same day with Wilma pecking our guests on the ride. At first I was trying to weasel in between people and push her away, but after a few rides, I realized something. Those getting pecked were cocky young men who were asking for it. Really-when everyone else is moving to the center of the trailer, and these guys are sitting close to the ostrich, and putting an arm out for her, they are asking for it. So my co-worker and I decided not to discourage Wilma from visiting the trailer. We'd warn everyone she bites, (and goes for any shiny thing-jewelry, cell phones, cameras, etc.) but if you then proceed to get bitten, you're on your own.

Now I suppose I can put ostrich wrangler on my resume. The things you learn working at a zoo!!

God Bless, Chela

No comments:

Post a Comment