Wednesday, October 5, 2011

zoo trip

Here are a couple of pictures from my trip to the zoo today. Only a few actually came out of all the ones I took, but I think they are really cute.

The little critter on the rock is a meerkat. They are from Africa, and live in colonies. They have long burrows under the ground for safety and nesting. They have a fairly complex society with many jobs, such as babysitter,and sentry(who sits on termite mounds and watches for enemies). They have a different call for a land predator, or an aerial predator. The one in my pic is upset because of the backhoe being used near their exhibit. He relaxed a few minutes later.

The Serval was so relaxed next to the fence, I had to take his picture. He gave me a silent meow when I walked up to him. A warning, or a hello? Servals are also from Africa. They are extremely agile, and can jump 10' straight up in the air to catch a bird. They are hunted for their pelts, which are then sold as cheetah cub pelts. However, they are not cheetahs.

Bison of course are American animals. They used to inhabit much of N. America, but now are confined to protected areas. A bull may weigh over a ton, a cow half as much. They are our heaviest land animal. They can run 30 mph.

Hope you enjoy a little trip to the zoo!

Chela


No comments:

Post a Comment