Saturday, April 12, 2014

Be Still....

Recently, while pet sitting my friend's farm, I kept misplacing things. Food bowls, the scoops for food, buckets, my egg basket, things like that. Trying to locate these items in the barnyard was met by a pushy pony, goat horns, and a cacophony of hungry animals. Often, I'd have to work around it until the missing item reappeared.

It occurred to me that my mind was racing while I was caring for everyone. I'd be feeding the dogs, and my mind was running something like this: Okay, half a scoop of food per dog now, then half later. Did everyone get the same amount? Okay, the ties look good, I think everyone will stay put. Once they get done eating, I'll fix that one tie out. The kiddie pools are working great for water, I hope my friend approves of the idea. I wonder why they didn't do this already.

Moving on to the hens, Okay let's check food in this feeder, looks good. This one needs food. Where's my scoop? The waterer looks low, I'll top it off when I do the brooders. There should be eggs here, here, and here. Oh, she's laying, I'll get those eggs next time I come down. Gosh, that broody hen hasn't calmed down one bit since her eggs hatched. She's going to eat me one of these times. Why do the roosters have to be so loud?

This is all rapid fire thoughts in my head, constantly as I'm making my rounds. I'd set something down, but my mind is racing so fast, I pay no mind to where I set it. This must be what it's like to have ADHD. So this goes on all week, and I just can't really relax. At home, I'm trying to run my household, and worrying over my charges at my friend's house. At her house, I'm racing to get everyone cared for, and worrying over my house.

Saturday rolls around, and I have an ampitheater program at the zoo. It went well only due to my partner, a jr zoo who volunteered to help. I am so frazzled I can't keep my facts straight, and think like I need to be doing. After that, I have Mass to attend. I get to church, and completely relax. My mind settles down to concentrate on the Word of God. It's the first time I've relaxed all week.

Relating this later to my daughter, she asks me why I was able to relax in church, and not anywhere else. I don't have an answer at first, but I think on that question for a while. Finally I realize what made the difference. I was at Mass, and I didn't need to be anywhere else at that time. All I needed to do was listen to the Word of God, and focus on Him. I didn't need to be at my friend's house straightening up, taking care of dogs, or chickens, or the pony. I didn't need to be at my house washing dishes, or playing with the dogs, or working on the yard. I just needed to be in the presence of God, and worshiping Him. What a wonderful hour, I really needed that time to just stop and be with God.

God tells us in Scripture, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 "Come to Me, all who are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28. God is good, all the time. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment