Saturday, November 3, 2012

Unanswered prayers

Unanswered prayers....those times we pray, and think God isn't listening to us, or perhaps He is too busy for our little concern. Maybe God only listens to priests or nuns, or people who are heavily involved in the church.

Not so, of course. Our Heavenly Father hears all of our prayers. Whether it's a big one, 'please let me have this promotion' or a small one, 'please don't let me stumble over my words when talking to the boss today.'

Jesus wants what is best for us, and sometimes that isn't how we want to live our lives. He can see our past, present, and future. He knows how the book is going to end, and He knows that although we desperately want the promotion, it isn't in our best interest. Sometimes the answer is no, or not yet, or wait and see what I am going to do in your life. As hard as that can be, Jesus has a great plan for you, as He tells us in Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you. They are plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope."

What a good deal He has for us! Still, it can hurt when the answer to your prayer isn't the "yes" you've been praying for. That is when we have to remember that we aren't in charge of our lives; Someone much bigger is taking care of that for us. That can be a real comfort.

Recently, another job opportunity became available at the zoo. I was so excited, and applied right away. I mentioned the opening to my co-worker Sarah, and she also applied. Imagine, me as an assistant zookeeper. Taking care of cheetahs, wolves, big snakes. This was my dream job! Except I didn't get it. Sarah did. I tried to be cheerful, and congratulate Sarah on her new job.

I was happy for her, but it hurt so much. Why didn't I get it? I didn't even get a phone call for an interview! I was really crushed for a couple of weeks. Then I happened to be at the zoo, and found out exactly what the job entailed. Then, I was grateful I didn't get it. I don't want it. At all.

Sarah is taking care of the education animals, not the zoo animals. She is working hard caring for a variety of animals ranging from Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, to scorpions, alligators, beavers, possums, owls and parrots. It is also a volunteer position I've been avoiding for 8 years. It's way too much work, and I just don't want to do it. Perhaps it's the ground floor for working with zoo animals, but it's not for me.

This time, I am thanking Jesus that He gave the job to Sarah, and not me. I'm grateful that He knew I wouldn't want it, and that He has better plans for me. When I heard about the opening, and through to when I submitted my application, I told Jesus, "Thy Will be done". I'm grateful it was. Thank You Jesus for taking my life in Your hands, and guiding me through each day. Please continue to prepare my future, to prosper and not harm me. I love You! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment